Field Trips are run regularly. A program for the year is developed in January by the field trip officer. At least one major field trip is held every year, of between 1 – 3 months duration. Field trips are important in respect of collecting material for use later at the club. But also important is the social interaction that occurs between our members, their guests and members from other clubs we meet in our travels.
While trips are usually scheduled for holiday weekends, there are several sites within a few hours driving of Brisbane accessible by day trips.
Kilkivan about 160Kms north of Brisbane is popular as a gold fossicking area. Further on, about 50 Kms west of Kilkivan,
Windera and Cloyna areas are popular areas for Agate. There are 2 “pay to dig” sites where a fee is charged for access to the fossicking area.
Smoky Quartz is plentiful in Ewingar Creek in Northern N.S.W about 3.5 hrs drive south-west of Brisbane.
Be advised anyone attending an NBLC Inc Field Trip, who is not a Financial Member of NBLC Inc, is not covered by our insurance. This includes member’s families, friends and members of other Lapidary Clubs. A waiver is required to be signed by anyone participating in field trips who is not a financial member of NBLC Inc.
Basic Requirements Needed To Carry Out Fossicking Good Maps Of The Area You Intend To Visit.
- 1 X Aluminium Sieve 305mm In Dia. By 3mm Mesh 1/8 Inch.
- 1 X “ “ By 7mm Mesh ¼ Inch.
- 1 X Small Sturdy Shovel (Not Fold Up Type).
- 1 X Gold Pan Plastic, If After Gold.
- Footwear – Preferably Boots To Support Ankles.
- Headwear – A Nice Wide Brimmed Hat.
- Transport – A 4 X 4 Is Nice, But A Lot Of Areas Can Be Accessed By Conventional Vehicles.
- Accommodation – Hotels, Motels, Caravans Or Camping. This Can Lead To Very Enjoyable Family Bush Weekends,
- Communication – With The Outside World Is Not Necessary, But Very Comfortable To Have. A Mobile Phone Is Useful In Case Of Emergency And We Strongly Suggest A Handheld Uhf Cb. They Cost $50-$100
The Above Are Only The Basic Requirements To Enable You To Carry Out This Hobby.
Extra Equipment Can Be Obtained At A Later Date If Required. Enjoy Yourselves; Leave Fossicking Areas Clean And Some Material Behind For Others – Good Luck And Good Fossicking.